Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Unedited

As Prof.. Sexson had mentioned in class today, he doesn't want to hear us whining about the book, rather he'd like us to speak to the content of the novel. This brought to mind the first notions I had on the literary style of this piece.
     Prior to opening the novel Brothers Karamazov either in conversation or internet searching I learned that Dostoevsky did not edit his novels. I use the word learned very loosely because this, at first ear, sounds like an literary myth. Whether this idea skewed my perspective I can not say. I'm sure I'm being super naive about the whole idea of an unedited 900 page novel, but I find I'm enjoying the notion of unfathomable brilliance on Dostoevsky's behalf it has brought to my reading. It also has allotted for me to take notice of the writing style in which the novel was written.
    As I read the first pages of the Brothers Karamazov I felt as though Fyodor Dostoevsky was rambling. As I became familiar with the personalities of each character, gave my own pronunciation to the Russian names while sorting out everyone's nicknames Dostoevsky's ramblings began to form a fascinating world. I found myself descending into my role as the reader just as Dostoevsky as Prof. Sexson has stated "descended into the well of his own creativity."  Every so often I find myself being addressed by my new title Reader, as found at the end of chapter 2 of book III, "...but I am ashamed of keeping my readers' attention so long occupied with these common menials, and I will go back to my story, hoping to say more of Smerdyakov in the course of it." Being addressed so directly as a Reader I think back to the notion that Dostoevsky did not edit his work. Could he have been so wrapped up in the creative process and so exhausted at its end that he chose not to edit? The above line from the book is only one of many lines where we find Dostoevsky speaking to the reader, telling us to take note, that what he just said will be of value later on in the course of the novel. He's also telling us he doesn't have the confidence in us as the reader to have caught on to this, that he needs to bring it to our attention. Personally I'd rather have the satisfaction of discovering the link later on in the book. However with that being said I also find that I enjoy him addressing me the reader. Again with the unedited notion clouding my vision  I see it as proof that he isn't so far down that well of creativity that he has forgotten me,  The reader. I was in his thoughts at the time of his writing, which makes me that much closer to being part of the novel. I am not so naive to think that Dostoevsky was the only writer to use this style of addressing his reader, but I do find it's where that fantastic notion pops into my thoughts as I read. Dostoevskys' habit of breaking from the story to speak to the reader is not the only aspect of this literary work that keeps bringing up the idea that he hadn't edited this work. Early on in book II  I believe in a conversation or a description of a characters personality, I can't remember exactly which and don't have the patience to go back and find it, I 'caught' Dostoevsky repeating himself. As if he had lost his train of thought during the writing process and felt he had not yet said what he had in fact already stated. Here I find myself back to that fantastic notion of Dostoevsky not editing his work and me repeating myself.
   I could not imagine this work of literature being something of an unedited version of Dostoevsky's mind. Yet, I have not googled in search of the answer to whether The Brother Karamazov is of unedited literary legend or not. I plan on enjoying this rather naive notion to the end of the novel at which time I might search for the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment