Friday, March 12, 2010

A moment of Peace

Prof. Sexson wanted us to blog about a book that had enhanced our life.

When I was a child, a very young child of 4 or so, I had a favorite book. In to the pages of the book Goodnight Moon I often retreated. I remember the world around me would silence, my thoughts consumed by the simplest of thoughts. Where would I find the little grey mouse hiding in the story Goodnight Moon? I already knew the answer. Even though I had sat down to that very book the day before and the day before that, I would scan each detail of the pictures on each page. I would make sure the comb on the nightstand had not moved, since I last "read" the book. I would decode the events of the rabbits day by taking inventory of the mittens, hat and such. I wished my mother would sit rocking while knitting as I fell asleep. I dreamed. As I flipped the final page to close the book and have remember having a peace about me. I was deaf until I was 5yrs old, I communicated in sign language and through allot of fits, as I've been told. I don't have many memories of my behavior, although I do remember I carried a sense of frustration within me. I can't tell you any of the words on the pages of the story Goodnight Moon, but I do know that those pages allowed me to make it through each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment