Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The mind of Antigone

I always resent the implication that my actions are that of a women's mind. I feel that the inner workings of my mind are based off so much more than the simple fact of being a women. I quickly became defensive, on paper that is, on behalf of Antigone when Prof Sexson said her actions could only be that of a women's.  I disagree, take her sister she is a woman and of the same family and has chosen a totally different path. Two women that share grief for the same deceased brother would be their similarities. What are their differences for them to have chosen two different paths? Perhaps she is stricken with an illness. The illness of sensuality. In other words she's passionate, her passion in this event is her relationship she had with her brother.  From reading Brother Karamazov we know that not all siblings share the illness of sensuality. Ismene could be easily free of this illness, so she could logically have choosen a different path even though she is a woman. So does this bring us to the question of whether Antigone is to Sophocle's trilogy as Dmitri is to the Brothers Karamazov? I don't know either literary piece well enough to say yes or no to that question, but I would have to argue that Antigone's actions were from that of a sensualists mind rather than that of a woman's.

No comments:

Post a Comment